Pindos Day 3 - Smolikas from Vrysochori

23rd September 2015



Track on Strava

I knew today was going to be a long hike, so I asked for breakfast at 6am, and was away by 6:40am, getting distracted at the last minute and nearly leaving my wallet behind.

It was still cold, dark and damp as I left Vrysochori and braced myself for 12km of tarmac road marching to Paleoseli.

Early morning view north towards Smolikas

Looking back south towards Tsouka Rosa and Gamila Peak (Tymfi)
Looking east up the Aoos Valley
Tymfi Mountain and cloud inversion
So after about 2 and a half hours of road walking with stunning views, I reached the small village of Palioseli. There was no shop as such, but there was a small bar/cafe that was open, so I stopped for a drink and bought some chocolate and a small packet of biscuits.

Palioseli
It wasn't terribly obvious how to find the trail to Smolikas from Palioseli, so I eventually found the right trail thanks to some locals allowing me a shortcut through their gardens, and pointing me in the right direction.

Trail through Palioseli
Wild bell flowers
Next came 10km of forest trail that climbed higher onto broad ridges leading towards Smolikas.

Broad ridge leading towards Smolikas 2637m
Just as I reached Drakolimni Lake 2150m the mist came in, and wind picked, which added a sense of urgency. I hid my rucksack behind a scrubby tree, and made it to the summit in about half an hour, and back down in 20 minutes.

Summit of Smolikas 2637m - 2nd highest mountain in Greece
Just as I got back to my rucksack, the afternoon rain started.

Drakolimni Lake 2150m 
The descent was around 9km of easy angled forest trail leading down to Agia Praskevi. This looked like a ghost town, and it was still early afternoon, so I decided to just keep on going and camp somewhere in the wilderness before Dhrosopighi.

Wild fruit trees near Agia Praskevi

Footbridge near Agia Praskevi
After crossing the footbridge below Agia Praskevi, the trail suddenly became almost non-existent.

So the next few hours were slow going, and involved getting swarmed by flies, thrashing through undergrowth, and repeatedly losing sight of any markings. I needed to keep moving to get out of the rough forest to find some water, to find somewhere to camp, and to get my bearings for tomorrow.

Dusk - looking west towards Albania
Luckily I found this free-flowing water source just before it got dark.

Water source
Eventually I was running out of daylight, so stopped and put the tent up on this flat dry area under some beech trees.

Camping below beech trees
I'm not sure what the Ray Mears Book of Survival says about camping under trees, but I didn't have too many other options available.  I was slightly concerned that if there was another massive thunderstorm, camping on top of hill under some trees might not be the best idea.

I see lightning flickering away on the hills in Albania, and could hear rumbles of thunder. I could also hear all sorts of noises in the woods around me that were making me feel edgy, so I put in my earplugs and tried to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment